Become A Referee
The Abbotsford Basketball Association and the Fraser Valley Basketball Officials Association are always looking for referees. Our Super League requires for all referees to be trained by the Fraser Valley Basketball Officials Association prior to refereeing with the Abbotsford Basketball Association. Refereeing at a Super League means refereeing boys and girls between the grades of 5-9. If you are interested in refereeing beyond the Super League then there are many opportunities available for you to referee grade 8-12 league games in the Fraser Valley.
Contact us if you would like to referee at the Abbotsford Basketball Super League.
Who can be a referee?
- Any female or male, with an interest, or background in the game.
- Must have a reasonably good level of fitness and conditioning and a willingness to learn.
- A uniform and Rule book are necessary. These can be acquired through the BCBOA.
What are the benefits of refereeing?
- Get paid to stay in shape instead of paying for it.
- Meet new friends with a common interest.
- You get the best seat in the house.
- Receive regular training from experienced and qualified officials.
What are the possibilities?
- Nearly 100 BCBOA officials referee the Provincial High School Championships each year.
- Several BCBOA officials are selected to referee at various National competitions including Midget, Juvenile, Jr College and CIS.
- Over the past 40 years, a number of BCBOA officials have been invited and subsequently granted certification as FIBA referees. As a result, they have been selected to work at various international competitions including World Championships and Summer Olympic Games.